Determination leads to success

Sophomore Mia Perez gets a new 1600m PR time

Olivia Ingram

Sophomore Mia Perez starting off the 1600m race at the Ranger Relays.

Julissa Vargas, Sports Writer

On March 3, sophomore Mia Perez was named first team all-district for basketball.

The next day, she anchored the 4X400 relay that broke the school record with a time of 3:52.

Oh, and she was the district cross country champion in 2022.

Perez’s prowess on the field, the track and the court make her one of the top athletes in the state and nation. Her 800m win at the Cougar Relays on March 11 came with a time of 2:13, among the top 25 in the nation.

“My main goal for this track season is to go to state in the 800m and break the school record in the 800, then go to state as well in the 1600m, and the 4×4,” she said. 

Perez went to state in 2022 along with her teammate’s sophomore Alyssa Jones, and junior Jazymn Singh. Last year she and the rest of the 4X400 became national champions. At the Ranger Relays on March 4,  she competed alongside Jones, senior Favour Uduji, and Singh in the 4X400 and broke a the school record,

Perez started to like the thought of running, especially long distance because it was a way to push herself for a long period of time. 

She competes in the 800m run, 1600 m run, and just after those events the 4X400.  At the Canyon Cougar Relays over spring break, Perez got first place in the 800m run, 3rd place in the 1600m run, and first place in the 4X400 along with Jones, Uduji, and Singh.

“I prepare myself by getting a really good rest the night before and eating a good light breakfast and of course stretch really good,” Perez said

Perez will compete in the 4X400 today at the Jesuit- Sheaner Relay.

“My goal for this upcoming meet is to win and run with confidence,” she said.