Senior Ella Pickron pole vaults at a track meet earlier this season.
Springing into the future: Senior Ella Pickron continues pole vaulting career
Allison Howe, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Senior Hannah Pape gives blood during the last blood drive on February 1.
HOSA to host blood drive tomorrow
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
During fifth period Elizabeth Little fills out green slips for students
What lies behind the desk
Kayleigh Fisher, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 29. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 29
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 29, 2024
Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Writers Guild of America strike comes to end after over three months

WGA reaches agreement with Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers
Freepik
The Writers Guild of America went on strike in 2007 for increased residuals from DVD sales. This year, they went on strike in order to receive increased residuals from streaming services.

The Writers Guild of America came to an agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers on improved job stability and streaming compensation after a three month strike.

In their negotiations, they were promised improved royalties for streamed content and protection from the rising threat of artificial intelligenceI in their profession.

Representing 11,500 writers, the WGA went on strike on May 2 and has since been battling their corporate employers.

“There’s this expectation that the writers should be okay with not getting paid,” English teacher Austin Petray said. “You’re never gonna get paid until you’re very very famous.”

With the strikes came the delay of many major productions.  Highly anticipated movies such as “Dune: Part 2”, “Avatar 3” and “Spider-Man : Beyond the Spider-verse.”

“I was really looking forward to the Across the Spider-Verse sequel,” sophomore Emma Perez said. “It was disappointing to hear it was delayed.”

Now, with the strike being over, these projects can continue on like normal, but the halt has still set them back tremendously.

“I was devastated when I learned “Stranger Things” season five was delayed,” Freshman Kathryn Tatum said. “I’m glad they get to continue filming now, but it’s still unfortunate.”

Still trying to reason with the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, Hollywood is still far from being back to normal.  However, the agreement between the WGA and the AMPTP is a big step in the right direction.