The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Kicking it up a notch

Senior soccer player commits to Angelo State
Photo courtesy of Wrilyn
Wrilyn Shippey plays center back for the soccer team and will be continuing her career at Angelo State University. Shippey, although nervous about graduating early, is ready to begin this new chapter in her life. “[I’m looking forward to] just being part of a team,” Shippey said. “There’s nothing better than having built in friends, being part of a team and having something to work for.”

When senior Wrilyn Shippey stepped onto the field at the state semifinals in May, she was the only one who knew it would be her last time wearing No. 7.

“It was really tough that I couldn’t tell anyone,” Shippey said. 

Shippey will graduate at the end of the semester and continue her soccer career at Angelo State University. Shippey also got offers from Stephen F. Austin and the University of Incarnate Word. She will sign in the main gym on Nov. 8.

“I really liked the coach and the program (at Angelo State),” Shippey said. “I was super excited when I got the offer, and I’m ready to start a new journey.”

Shippey has been a varsity starter since freshman year and her coach, Jason Adkins, says she has been a crucial part of the team.

She has been a rock in the back for us for three years and a great leader,” he said. “She has grown up to be a stellar defender and leader.”

After  three years with Adkins, Shippey has gained a great deal of knowledge, but her biggest take away is mentality matters.

“If you want to be there, then it shows in your performance,” Shippey said. “If you have a bad mentality before the game starts, it will show in the way you play.”

This past season, the girl’s soccer team made it to the state semi-final for the first time in school history. Scoring the game-winner in the regional final and taking them to state, Shippey was a crucial member of the team.

“She was our center back, which is a really important role on the field,” assistant coach Shauna Douglass said. “Even under pressure, she was able to calmly make decisions. Offense wins games, but defense wins championships.”

Shippey, although nervous about graduating early, is ready to begin this new chapter in her life. 

“(I’m looking forward to) just being part of a team,” Shippey said. “There’s nothing better than having built in friends, being part of a team and having something to work for.”

Because of her early departure, Shippey will not make an appearance on the field this season, but her coaches are confident that she will succeed at the collegiate level.

“She’s gonna do great,” Douglass said. “I think she’ll continue to be steadfast. She’s bringing a lot of talent with her. Going into a new team, it’s like you’re trying to find your place and earn your spot all over again, but they’re going to be lucky to have her.”