Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Girls soccer wins Ranger Classic

Championship game goes down to penalty kicks
The girls soccer team placed first in the Ranger classic tournament on Saturday. Photo via @SVABC_GSOCCER on X

Junior Alyssa Pipes sets the ball on the penalty mark. Breathing through her nerves, she steps back and begins her run up to the ball. The stadium falls quiet as the ball leaves her foot and travels through the air. 

The ball strikes the back of the net.

The team has just won the Ranger Classic.

“I was confident in my ability to take [the kick],” Pipes said. “But I was still very nervous going into it with everyone watching me.”

The Ranger Classic is a girls’ soccer tournament the school hosts annually. They competed in three games spanning from Jan. 4-6.

“We’ve had The Ranger Classic for 23 years now,” head coach Jason Adkins said. “It’s eight varsity teams [in] a bracket system. Usually, we come out with a championship at the end.”

This year was no different.

The tournament opened with a match against Victoria West, junior Addie Schultz scored two goals and sophomore Addie Briscoe scored one. Assists came from senior captain Jordan Todd and senior Alex Smithwick.

“Addie Schultz came in and played in the middle for us and did really well,” Adkins said. “Our senior leadership of Alex Smithwick and Kaela Stevens on the outside and Jordan Todd in the middle was really big.”

With one win under their belt, the team moved on to game two where it got a shutout against Austin Bowie. Junior Raelyn Hinojosa scored two goals while senior Callaghan McGuire scored one. 

After two wins, the team moved on to the final where they played Brennan. With the game scoreless after the 90 minutes of regulation, the team was headed to penalty kicks. 

“The toughest moment of the tournament was playing Brennan in our last game,” senior captain Kaela Stevens said. “We struggled to play our game instead of settling for their level of play and in turn, we had to win the game through penalty kicks.” 

The team was tied 4-4 on penalties, and Pipes was up to take the last one. 

“When we went into PK’s, everyone was so nervous,” Pipes said. “But we were all confident that we would win and pull the championship medal off.”

And that’s exactly what they did. 

“I felt a sense of joy and I was relieved that we won,” Pipes said. “Everyone was so ecstatic that we won, and we all ran to each other screaming and jumping.”