Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Shoot for the stars, aim for playoffs

Girls basketball determined to make playoffs
Olivia Ingram
Last years team celebrating a three pointer made. Shown in the photo (left to right) is senior Bella Reyes, senior Sidney Smith, senior Sammy Carroll, sophomore Cyanna Cavazos, senior Izzy White, graduate Caroline Dyess, and senior Heavyn Carter.

Last year, girls basketball was only two points away from a playoff spot, but ultimately fell short to Canyon losing 47-45. They ended their district season 6-8, and their overall season 14-19.

Scoring Leaders from the 2022-2023 season were [now junior] Mia Perez, [now senior] Heavyn Carter, [now senior] Allison Howe and graduate Caroline Dyess. 

Howe and Perez are on the San Antonio Express News players to look out for.

“It’s a really big honor to have made the list,” Howe said. “There’s a lot of great players on it so I’m really happy to be up there with them.”

With a big season ahead of them, the team is ready to put up with any challenges that come their way. To prepare for this upcoming season, the team had bootcamp which consisted of waking up early, and remaining positive and ready for any task.

“This season I believe we are in store for a lot of fun and a lot of wins,” Head coach Matthew Sutherland said. “We’re bringing back eight seniors with three underclassmen who also have Varsity experience. So I believe our experience carries value for what we want to accomplish, and that’s the playoffs.”

Having eight seniors share the court one last time together will be a memorable moment by Howe.

“I’m most looking forward to bonding with all the other seniors. We’ve been playing together for a long time and with this being our last year I think it’s going to be really special.”

Having the team back and healthy this season is going to play a big factor. Last year, senior Daichelle San Nicolas was out for four and a half months with a stress fracture in her shin.

“I’m looking forward to finally being able to show how hard I’ve been working considering the fact I was injured my junior year, and I’m excited to play one last season with my teammates,” San Nicolas said.

The team is back better than ever and eager to make it to playoffs. 

“The team chemistry is what makes this group special,” Sutherland said. “They all get along, they all support each other, but most importantly they all know we need each other in order to be successful.”