Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Looking into the future

Senior Allison Howe commits to St. Edwards to pursue playing college basketball
Davis Kuhn
Senior Allison Howe puts up a contested shot against her opponent.

Basketball wasn’t the first sport senior Allison Howe played. Before playing basketball Allison was in different sports such as soccer, t-ball, and dance. Then at the age of six Mary Howe [Allison’s mother] put her in the sport she would forever fall in love with.

The starting center, 4 year vet, senior has committed to St. Edwards to continue her academic and athletic career.

“I’m really excited to be playing in college,” Howe said. “It’s always been a dream of mine and St. Edwards is a great school with a great program. I’m really looking forward to it next year.”

It wasn’t that easy for Howe though, through the way she faced challenges. Last year in the beginning of April she sprained her ankle during an AAU practice.She became injured for 3 weeks which made her unable to get herself ready for the summer.

“My biggest challenge is comparing myself to other people. It’s really hard growing up in situations where some girls were getting offers in the 8th grade and I wasn’t,” Howe stated. “I didn’t get majority of my offers until I was a senior in high school. It was really hard to recognize my own talent and be confident in myself when it seemed like everyone I was playing with or against was better than me. Now that I’m older and I’ve accomplished my goals it’s not something I struggle with as much, but my inner voice is something that is still definitely a challenge.”

Part of overcoming your biggest challenges is facing them with the people you surround yourself with and believe in you.

“To me Allison is a leader, and she helps bring the team up with energy and I just see her as a great role model for all of us,” senior Daichelle San Nicholas said.

Before Howe begins to take on her next chapter, her and her teammates still have the 23-24 season to finish off and with that Howe’s toughness and height is still needed.

“Allison’s biggest strength is her ability to dominate the paint throughout a basketball game,” head coach Matthew Sutherland said. “She can defend teams biggest players and makes it difficult for other players to be successful. She is a great passer and contributes in our half court offense and full court press break by hitting teammates for open opportunities.”

Howe was on San Antonio Express New ‘Players to look out for’ this season and the night of the Rangers season opener she had 13 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, and 2 blocks.

“As good as Allison is on the court, we are just as proud of her accomplishments in the classroom and across the community,” Sutherland siad. “Allison is an excellent student and takes pride in being at the top of her class academically. She is so fun to be around, and brings smiles and laughter to her teammates and coaches.” 

Howe’s accomplishments will be one for the books in the Lady Ranger basketball program. 

“Allison’s impact on our program is irreplaceable and we have been so lucky to have her for four years!! It has been an honor coaching her and watching her grow into a wonderful young woman. I am excited to see what the next chapter in her life brings her the next few years, Sutherland said.”