The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024
In Comal school district, 22.0% of students are eligible to participate in the federal free and reduced price meal program, making the federal nutrition program a necessity. Photo by Annie Spratt via Unsplash.
Texas should adopt federal nutrition program
Bethany Mann, Editor-in-Chief • April 18, 2024
Olivia Fuentes will play beach volleyball at Tarleton University in the fall after signing on April 17.
Photo by Daniel Grant
Toe the sign
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • April 18, 2024

The last dance

Girls basketball will compete in the first round of playoffs
Winning+against+Boerne+Champion%2C++the+team+embraces+in+a+group+hug+of+what+was+the+seniors+last+time+playing+on+their+home+court.+++
Danny Grant
Winning against Boerne Champion, the team embraces in a group hug of what was the seniors last time playing on their home court.

Shoot for the stars, aim for playoffs’, is exactly what the girls basketball team did. Last year they were only two points away from a playoff spot losing to Canyon. This year however they secured a spot winning 47-39 against Canyon in what was at first a close game. 

“For us, going to playoffs is a great accomplishment because we’ve been focused on it all year,” sophomore Cyanna Cavazos said.

The same night they secured a playoff spot was when Pieper won against Tivy 47-43. Because of that, the lady rangers did have a chance to give themselves a better position in playoffs by three way tying for second place along with Pieper and Kerrville Tivy.

Unfortunately this last Tuesday they lost to Pieper 40-52 and ended their district season with a record of 9-5 leaving them in fourth place, Tivy in third, and Pieper in second.

Though the job isnt done yet. They will now be competing in the first round of playoffs against the 5A Region IV District 25 Champs Glenn high school. Glenn is ranked number 18th in Texas Rankings on Maxxpreps with an overall record of 31-2 and a district record of 13-1. 

The girls are looking to keep their heads up high and bring the same intensity they’ve been bringing to tough teams such as Pieper and Tivy.

The lady rangers are in for a tough battle looking to come out with a win. They will play at 6 p.m. at Kyle Lehman high school.

“This playoff run means a lot because it’s the beginning of the end for the seniors,” senior Heavyn Carter said. ‘We’ve all been together for so long and as hard as this season has been, I want it to last as long as possible.”