Time to vote is now

Bond election begins

The 2017 bond passes after the election May 6. The bond will add two new high schools to the district.

Comal ISD http://www.comalisd.org/pages/Comal_ISD/Bond2017

Emma Sipple, Web Editor

Construction begins on new portables behind the bus ramp and the portables behind B-wing receive an update. Across the district, numbers continue to swell as more people move into the area, with all four high schools at 99 percent capacity, and the elementary schools growing. In short, the people need to vote yes for the new 2017 bond in early voting through May 2 and the actual vote May 6.

Based on the needs of the district, two new high schools alleviate the overcrowding at the school and Canyon high school. The bond also includes a design for a new elementary school to get a head start on elementary relief. In addition to new schools, the bond addresses issues in the air conditioning and heating systems across the district, adds more buses and purchases land for the new schools.

Opponents of the new bond believe the bond impacts taxes, but there will not be a projected tax increase to pay for the bond. The money from district’s current Interest and Sinking levy with a $0.35 per every $100 in property value covers the cost from the new development and increasing property values.

If the bond doesn’t pass, the district will redraw attendance zones, add more portables and possibly create a ninth grade center to make room for everyone.  These methods temporarily fix a growing problem that needs to be addressed now. Passing the bond allows for the district to keep up with the growth in the area and continue to provide quality education to its students.