Bond election early voting begins Monday

Voters to cast ballots at Bulverde City Hall

Editors+Bobby+Palomin%2C+Megan+Myles+and+Emma+Sipple+went+to+the+Bulverde-Spring+Branch+Chamber+meeting+in+the+Bulverde+Spring+Branch+library++to+discuss+the+overcrowding+in+the+school.+

Wes Cornelius

Editors Bobby Palomin, Megan Myles and Emma Sipple went to the Bulverde-Spring Branch Chamber meeting in the Bulverde Spring Branch library to discuss the overcrowding in the school.

Emma Sipple, Web Editor

Early voting for the May 6 Comal school district bond issue, a $262 million package to build two new high schools, begins Monday at Bulverde City Hall and Garden Ridge City Hall.

Polls will be open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 24, 25, 26, 28 and May 1 and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 27 and May 2.

Trustees called for the bond election in February to address overcrowding at Smithson Valley and Canyon high schools. The proposal also includes $2 million for design of a new elementary school as well as $4 million for land purchases, $3 million for bussing service and $3 million for maintenance and operation.

The two high schools will cost $109 million for a campus on South I-35 and $141 million for a campus at Borgfeld Road.

Superintendent Andrew Kim hesitated to discuss what could happen if the bond issue did not pass.

“But the truth of the matter is if we don’t have new schools for the future, we will somehow have to have additional portables,” Kim said in January.

Clearing for five portable began in early April behind the school because the campus exceeded functional capacity in October.

On Wednesday, student journalists Bobby Palomin, Emma Sipple and Megan Myles participated in a Bulverde-Spring Branch Chamber of Commerce meeting at the Bulverde library to educate community members about the bond issue.

“We just talked about how crowded it was and how we couldn’t walk through the hallway,” Sipple said.

Polling places and times can be found here.