Football trounces Trojans

Mackenzie Bentley

Senior CJ Kuehler lines up for the snap at the end of the first quarter.

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

The varsity football team trounced Austin Anderson for its 2017-2018 season home opener Friday with a 56-0 win over the Trojans. The team dismantled the Trojans all night long as  both offense and defense pile on the points, along with holding Austin Anderson to 56 yards rushing and 63 yards of passing offense.

Senior standout cornerback Trevon Moehrig-Woodard intercepted the ball in the opening drive, leading to a 4 yard rushing touchdown from freshman running back, Darlington Frasch. The following drive the Anderson junior quarterback threw another interception inside their own 20 yard line, this time to senior cornerback Mason Pierce, leading to a quick 7 yard rushing score by Moehrig-Woodard a few plays later. The first quarter of play would finish out with the team leading Anderson 21-0.

The team attacked the scoreboard again in the second quarter with a 4 yard rushing touchdown from junior running back Nick Akin. Moments later junior safety Ethan Sill picked off the Anderson quarterback, taking it to the house for a 17 yard touchdown. The team continued to out muscle the Trojans as the final seconds of the first half came to a close making the score 42-0 after multiple scores coming from the team’s offense and defense.

The team would continue to hold-off the Trojans for a shut-out in the second half and scored twice more before the final seconds of the game, making the final score 56-0. Junior quarterback, Levi Williams, led the team with 113 yards passing and heavy contributions of multiple rushing scores coming from standouts Akin, Frasch, and Moehrig-Woodard leading to 393 yards of total offense.

The team looks to defend their record of 2-0 on the season against Austin powerhouse Round Rock next Friday, Sept. 15 at 7:30 p.m. in Ranger stadium.