Football takes fire out of Dragons

Team gets ready to take on Round Rock on September 15th.

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

The varsity football team slayed the Round Rock Dragons Friday night with a 50-10 win making the season 3-0. The team dismantled the Dragon’s all night with scores coming from both offensive and defensive efforts.

Varsity came into Ranger Stadium with a fire that would not be extinguished as the team marched down the field and scored in the opening minutes of the first quarter. The team rallied around the young freshman running back Darlington Frasch, as he suffered a broken femur on the opening drive, and a hush fell on the crowd.  Frasch left the game by ambulance, but the team played on with an even bigger fury, leading to a 8 yard receiving touchdown by senior tight end Adoryzal Hunter. Points continued to rack up throughout the first quarter with junior quarterback Levi Williams getting into the end zone and after a quick 4th and 1 stop by the team’s defense, Williams launched a 51 yard touchdown bomb to senior standout Trevon Moehrig-Woodard, making the score 20-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Round Rock scored first in the opening drive of the second quarter of play with a 3 yard field goal as the team stopped them on a big 3rd down play. After a long 42 yard run the following drive by the team, the play setup junior kicker Mason Reid with the field goal making the score 23-3 at halftime.

Defense became a key factor in the second half for the team, as senior cornerback Brady Chubb recovered a fumble and flicked the ball to junior linebacker Matt Kollmansberger for the defensive touchdown in the opening minutes of the 2nd quarter. Following another key defensive shut down by the team, standout Moehrig-Woodard caught a 13 yard receiving touchdown from Wiliams. The team’s defense continued battling the dragons with another defensive touchdown by junior linebacker Will Gibbons closing out the 3rd quarter with a 44-3 lead over Round Rock.

The team scored once more with a receiving touchdown by senior receiver Brance Anderson making the final score 50-10.

The team takes on the Steele Knights on September 22nd at 7:30 p.m. in Lehnhoff Stadium to kick off this year’s district play.