Track team rides success into district

Senior Jacob Zuber reaches the final straight away during the 4x400 teams victory at the Ranger Relays.

Meggan Muzquiz

Senior Jacob Zuber reaches the final straight away during the 4×400 teams victory at the Ranger Relays.

Zach Dimmitt, Sports Writer

The boys track and field team has found its stride of success as the group won two of its three meets up to this point in the year.

The Kerrville Tivy Antler Relays saw the group place first overall with a total score of 171. Some of the individual wins by members of the team included junior Clayton Wilkerson in the 800 meter run,  junior Mason Garner in the 1600 meter run, junior Jeremiah Gilliam in the 110 meter hurdles, and senior Jacob Zuber in the 200 meter dash.

The group built on that success and earned another team victory a few weeks later at the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays.

For senior Jacob Zuber, the recent glory is only a building block to lead to more victories in the weeks to come.

“(The success) has provided us with the confidence we need to know that we’ll be successful in the coming meets.” Zuber said. “Now running can actually be a little enjoyable.”

Zuber has been able to enjoy the triumph alongside his little brother, Kirk, who is one of the few sophomores on the team.

“Competing with my little brother has been really cool because we’re both competitive.” Zuber said. “It’s nice to share these experiences with someone, especially when they’re family.”

Jacob, Kirk, and the rest of the boys team will aim to continue its stride to victory when the group competes at the district meet tonight at Canyon High School.