Basketball falls to Steele due to injuries

Freshman+Sean+Bolds+jumps%2C+shooting+the+ball+as+Steele+players+try+to+block+him+on+Jan.+26.+

Mackenzie Malo

Freshman Sean Bolds jumps, shooting the ball as Steele players try to block him on Jan. 26.

Wesley Cornelius, Sports Editor

Nearing the end of district play, the boys’ basketball team struggles to find success. On top of a tough schedule, the team is dealing with multiple injuries.

“It’s hard to see a teammate go down knowing how hard they’ve worked,” junior guard Jyael Gervin said.

The team played its last three games without its leading scorer, junior guard Jordan Stagg.

On Feb. 2 the team lost 96-41 against Steele to start the second half of district play.

The team took the court again Friday night at Canyon looking for its first district win. As many times as the team has been defeated, it has come back to play again.

“Our faith in each other and our strong relationship keeps us going,” senior forward Tyler Peavy said.

The team only plays five more games this year. The wins might have been hard to come by, but the players learned from this experience.

“We feel that it’s a building process and we’re now focusing on getting better as players and people,” senior forward Kress Childs said. “So that we can show improvement in the future throughout our lives as well as on the court.”