Touchdowns add up to fight cancer

Team places first in state, third nationally

Pledge It

Individuals making a total contribution of $100 or more (TD pledges or flat donations) will earn an exclusive Touchdowns Against Cancer 2019 T-shirt! Qualifying individuals will be emailed an order form at the end of the program. Apparel will be distributed at the conclusion of Touchdowns Against Cancer. If you have any questions, contact [email protected].

Catherine Diel, Staff Writer

The school’s football team raised more than $6,000 to fight childhood cancer, taking first place in the state and third in the nation in Touchdowns Against Cancer.

To participate, teams pledged a donation to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital for every touchdown scored during any varsity game.

The Rangers raised $6,242 with 19 touchdowns. The Chopticon Braves placed first nationally with nine touchdowns and $7,449 raised, while the Lone Peak Big Horns placed second with 14 touchdowns and $6,705 raised.

Senior P.J. O’Toole, a childhood cancer survivor, topped the state leaderboard for money raised by a student – $2,470. Second place went to Bryce Chatfield of Wakeland with $1,000 raised. O’Toole placed third nationally.

The campus’s third period challenge raised another $700 for the cause.

In third place, Glenn Hill’s class donated $105.30. Second place was Mona Hopkins’s class with $137. Finally, Coach Jason Pape’s class won the pizza party with $181.90 in donations.

Even with September over, donations can be made by visiting the Touchdowns Against Cancer’s leaderboard or the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s website.