New PreACT test announced for sophomores

Madi Janes, News Editor and Web Editor

ACT recently announced the launch of the PreACT test. The multiple-choice assessment is for sophomores and hopes to help students prepare for the experience of taking the ACT test. The new test will be available to schools starting in the fall.

The PreACT is patterned after the ACT, using the same types of questions, the same 1-36 scoring scale, and same format. The new test is designed to model the ACT test experience so students will be more prepared.

Like the ACT test, the PreACT includes exams in English, mathematics, reading and science. However, the Pre-ACT will not include a writing test and will be approximately one hour and 55 minutes long, one hour shorter than the ACT.

The questions would be non-secure, meaning that the questions used on the PreACT would not be used on the ACT, and students would be able to see the question, their answer and the correct answer about two weeks after taking the test.

PreAct school reports will be able to offer a broad view of students’ college and career readiness, identify academic strengths and weaknesses, and can offer possible career choices that may fit the students’ interests. School score reports will also be able to provide data to help teachers know what subjects need more focus in the classroom.