Ranger roundup

Baseball season starts, softball wins district opener and tennis wins a tourney

Ethan Young

Sophomore Alex Franz dribbles the ball down the pitch. Boys soccer is 9-5-4 this season.

Sports staff

The boy’ soccer team decimated the Judson Rockets  on Tuesday, 6-0, with goals by Zarek Urrutia, Devin Yocham and Colton Adkins (3). Both junior Michais are currently sitting in second place in district, and it will be a difficult match between the Rangers and the New Braunfels Unicorns.

The girls’ soccer team also defeated Judson, with a grand score of 9-0. Freshman Sabrina Taber once again showed off with a hat trick and an assist, and she now leads the team with her 17 goals. Junior captain Kendall Spillman scored two goals, and the final four goals were finished by Jadelin Castillo, Taylor Swenson, Peyton Mohler and Jewel Mann. The Rangers will take on the Steele Knights at home this Friday.

Baseball went 3-2 in their Border Olympics Tournament in Laredo last week, in a showing made more impressive by their 29-13 run differential, which would indicate a 4-1 pythagorean record (as discussed in this week’s Fieldhouse Rock podcast). The team’s tournament-opening 13-0 victory over Laredo Cigarroa was followed up by an 8-2 win over Corpus Cristi Ray, highlighted by Caden Norman’s nine-strikeout performance. After that came a 5-2 loss to Pasadena Dobie, a 4-3 win over Laredo United South and a 3-2 heartbreaker to Pharr-San Juan-Alamo. They’ll host the Comal ISD Tournament – which includes school outside of Comal ISD – Thursday through Saturday.

Softball kicked off their district season Tuesday with a 1-0 win over Schertz Clemens. Senior Lauren Gonzales slugged a home run and sophomore pitcher Seneca Anthony pitched seven innings, striking out 14. Next up is a Thursday road trip for the Brenham Leadoff Classic, which will stretch through Saturday.

Golf competed in a tournament at Avery Ranch on Feb. 29, where 120 total golfers competed. They also competed at the Stampede tournament on February 24th. The team had 10 winners: five boys, five girls. 

Tennis competed in a tournament at San Marcos on Feb. 28th, taking 1st place overall. Hayden Rios and Madelyn Haas won 1st place in the A category, and Rocco Perciavalle and Luke Cantu won the B category. For the girls, Trieste Perciavalle and Loren Molina won first. They will compete in the Varsity Dominion Tournament this Friday at Dominion Country Club.