The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Hudson Woods throws his arms out after a play before getting into position
Hudson Woods climbs to new heights after standout sophomore season
Jonathan Jones, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024
Joshua Velasquez committed to serving his country in the U.S. Army.
Beyond basic
Margaret Edmonson, Adviser • May 17, 2024
Sydney Rakowitz will study education and training and music at the University of Incarnate Word.
Seniors sign to continue athletic, non-athletic careers
Valley Ventana, Staff • May 16, 2024
Boy Scouts of America announced on May 7 the organizations name will change to Scouting America on the organizations 115th birthday Feb. 8, 2025. Photo by JV via unsplash.com
Boy Scouts changing name after 115 years
Grayson Cook, Staff writer • May 15, 2024
The top 15 students in the senior class receive special recognition at graduation on May 22 due to their hard work throughout high school. 
Graphic by Alex Whelchel via Canva
Profile: Top 15 seniors
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • May 13, 2024

Returners, new faces ready to play

2023 area champions open district March 12
Danny Grant
Newcomer sophomore Luke Williams pitches for the team averaging 7 strike outs per game, pitching for 5 innings.

After being seizing the 2023 Class 5A area championship, the baseball team maintains a strong roster with eight returning lettermen, reminiscent of their successful team from previous season.

“We have a good mix of returners with some new faces,” Coach Chad Koehl said. “MJ Espinosa, Zach Gingrich…both three-year starters with us in 2021 as freshmen during the run to state tournament.”

On Sept. 29- Oct.1,  Gingrich was invited to play at the Future Stars Series main Event. Gingrich has officially hit three home runs and leads the team with 13 RBI’s. Espinoza has 11 RBI’s, and both Espinosa and Gingrich have pitched an average of five innings per game.

They are among the four seniors who have committed to play baseball at the collegiate level. Gingrich is headed to Texas State, Espinosa to Hill College, Jackson Harris to Western Texas College, and Maverick Minister to Cisco College.

In addition to their return, senior outfielders Jackson Duffey and Parker Brown, junior midfielder P.K. Moeller, and junior catcher Bryce Wells bring their playoff experience.

“Jackson Harris has solidified himself at 3rd base hitting .500 with six doubles,” Koehl said. “Bryce Wells has taken over behind the plate and is our leadoff hitter with a .530 on base percentage and leads the team with 12 base on balls.”

With district will kicking off with a home opener against Kerrville Tivy, the starting lineup has been adjusted to include standout player PK Moeller, who is hitting at a high percentage, and junior Blake Allen, who has transitioned from second base to shortstop.

The team has a current overall record of 3-2, with a home game against Vandergrif scheduled for tomorrow at 12:30 p.m.

“We open distinct play with Kerrville Tivy,” Koehl said. “They have the talent to be a contender for the district championship.”