The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024
In Comal school district, 22.0% of students are eligible to participate in the federal free and reduced price meal program, making the federal nutrition program a necessity. Photo by Annie Spratt via Unsplash.
Texas should adopt federal nutrition program
Bethany Mann, Editor-in-Chief • April 18, 2024
Olivia Fuentes will play beach volleyball at Tarleton University in the fall after signing on April 17.
Photo by Daniel Grant
Toe the sign
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • April 18, 2024

Returners, new faces ready to play

2023 area champions open district March 12
Danny Grant
Newcomer sophomore Luke Williams pitches for the team averaging 7 strike outs per game, pitching for 5 innings.

After being seizing the 2023 Class 5A area championship, the baseball team maintains a strong roster with eight returning lettermen, reminiscent of their successful team from previous season.

“We have a good mix of returners with some new faces,” Coach Chad Koehl said. “MJ Espinosa, Zach Gingrich…both three-year starters with us in 2021 as freshmen during the run to state tournament.”

On Sept. 29- Oct.1,  Gingrich was invited to play at the Future Stars Series main Event. Gingrich has officially hit three home runs and leads the team with 13 RBI’s. Espinoza has 11 RBI’s, and both Espinosa and Gingrich have pitched an average of five innings per game.

They are among the four seniors who have committed to play baseball at the collegiate level. Gingrich is headed to Texas State, Espinosa to Hill College, Jackson Harris to Western Texas College, and Maverick Minister to Cisco College.

In addition to their return, senior outfielders Jackson Duffey and Parker Brown, junior midfielder P.K. Moeller, and junior catcher Bryce Wells bring their playoff experience.

“Jackson Harris has solidified himself at 3rd base hitting .500 with six doubles,” Koehl said. “Bryce Wells has taken over behind the plate and is our leadoff hitter with a .530 on base percentage and leads the team with 12 base on balls.”

With district will kicking off with a home opener against Kerrville Tivy, the starting lineup has been adjusted to include standout player PK Moeller, who is hitting at a high percentage, and junior Blake Allen, who has transitioned from second base to shortstop.

The team has a current overall record of 3-2, with a home game against Vandergrif scheduled for tomorrow at 12:30 p.m.

“We open distinct play with Kerrville Tivy,” Koehl said. “They have the talent to be a contender for the district championship.”