Celebrating Women’s History Month

How teachers are remembering influential women in the classroom

Grace Bush

The Discovering ‘Herstory’ bulletin board in the library showcases influential women in history. Librarian Amanda Trussell decorated the board with the intention of spreading awareness for Women’s History Month.

Grace Bush, Staff Writer

March is Women’s History Month, meant to spread awareness about girlhood and celebrating powerful and influential women in history in spite of the sexism, misogyny, and patriarchy that has been prevalent throughout. 

“It is an important month and time for us to highlight some contributions that women have made in history and for us to view history through a different lens,” librarian Amanda Trussell said. “I hope the purpose or goal is to remind us that it’s not just people like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington who did write things and help found this country; there were women that were important in the world, [and] that had significant impacts we don’t always know about or are taught about.”

There are several students who have seen the “Discover ‘Herstory’” board in the library (created by librarian Amanda Trussell to honor those impactful women by displaying a portrait of each one alongside a short biography and reflection on their contributions), or have been taught in class about various influential women.

“We cover two to four women everyday [in the classroom],” AP U.S. History teacher Courtney Hillman said. “One of the women we [recently] talked about was the first Asian American congresswoman.”

In the month of February, the morning announcements featured a selected person-of-the-day to represent Black History Month, leading to puzzlement over why a Women of the Day was never established this time around. 

“By having a month that highlights women’s history, it forces people to acknowledge it,” sociology and geography teacher Matthew Carl said. “Women’s rights were put on the back-burner for a long time; I think it’s great that we’ve come a long way, but I don’t think we are where we need to be.”