Heart = stopped

“Heartstopper” brings new meaning to representation

Netflix

The “Heartstopper” show was released to the Netflix platform on April 22.

Bethany Mann, Staff Writer

Kit Connor has captured my heart and soul.

The young actor stars in the new Netflix series “Heartstopper” as Nick Nelson, the love interest of the main character, Charlie Spring, portrayed by Joe Locke.

The series is based off of a comic series by the same name written and created by Alice Oseman. The show has received massive amounts of praise from fans, old and new, earning a 100% on RottenTomatoes. 

At the time of writing this, I have already watched “Heartstopper” from start to finish four times. I think I might have an addiction, but for good reason.

The show follows Charlie Spring, a year 10 boy who at the beginning of the show is stuck in a secret relationship with Ben Hope, a character not worth mentioning, but then he meets Nick Nelson, captain of the rugby team who is in year 11.

Throughout the show’s eight episodes, Nick and Charlie become friends, secretly become more than friends and in the end officially become a couple. 

I, of course, was smiling the entire time.

Arguably the best part of “Heartstopper” is its characters themselves and the actors who portray them. It is the only show to “do diversity” and do it well. 

The show follows two teenage boys, one who is gay and one who is bisexual, two girls in a relationship, one who is black and both of whom identify as lesbian. Charlie’s best friend, Tao Xu played by William Gao, is of Chinese descent and is pining after his friend Elle Argent played by Yasmin Finney who is transgender.

Charlie also befriends the art teacher, Mr. Ajayi, played by Fisayo Akindae who is both black and gay. The Rugby coach, Coach Singh, played by Chetna Pandya is of asian descent and married to a woman. 

“Heartstopper” isn’t the only show with this diverse of a cast, but it is the only show to make it what it is – reality. 

Sebastian Croft who plays Ben Hope said it best.

“I think Heartstopper is the right way to go forward with representation because it doesn’t feel like representation. It doesn’t feel like “The LGBT Show’, it just feels like young people falling in love and it’s honest, truthful and reflects the world we live in today. That reflection is that queer people exist of all ages and it doesn’t have to be about HIV or oversexualised, it’s just young, excited, happy people falling in love.”

Another great thing about “Heartstopper” is the age of its actors. All of the teenage characters, apart from one, are played by actors under the age of 20. 

Teenagers are awkward. They are not supposed to have a six pack and full facial hair. Puberty is very much still happening in high school. It is so refreshing to see age appropriate actors in a high school show.

“Heartstopper” is the best show on Netflix today, and so worthy of its 100% rating.

“Heartstopper” has definitely made its way into my top three favorite shows.