The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Students share Oscars predictions

The 96th Academy Awards will be held Sunday, March 10 at 7 p.m. Eastern Time. Photo via Academy Awards website.

The Oscars, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, will take place on Sunday, and a recent survey revealed student favorites for the main categories. 

For Best Picture, critics from The Guardian predict that “Oppenheimer,” directed by Christopher Nolan, will win, and students agree, with “Oppenheimer” winning 50% of the vote. “Barbie”, directed by Greta Gerwig, is in second place with 30% of the vote. Other nominees include “American Fiction,” “Anatomy of a Fall,” “The Holdovers,” “Killers of the Flower Moon,” “Maestro,” “Past Lives,” “Poor Things” and “The Zone of Interest.”

Both critics and students predict that Emma Stone will win Best Actress for her performance in “Poor Things,” with 66.7% of students voting for her. Lily Gladstone is in second place for her performance in “Killers of , with 30% of the vote. Annette Bening (“Nyad”), Lily Gladstone (“Killers of the Flower Moon”), Sandra Hüller (“Anatomy of a Fall”) and Carey Mulligan (“Maestro”) are also nominated. 

Critics and students predict that Cillian Murphy (“Oppenheimer”) will win, earning 75.8% of the vote. Bradley Cooper (“Maestro”) is in second place with 15.2% of the vote. Colman Domingo (“Rustin”), Paul Giamatti (“The Holdovers”) and Jeffrey Wright (“American Fiction”) are also nominated for Best Actor.

For Best Supporting Actress, critics predict Da’Vine Joy Randolph (“The Holdovers”) will win, but students believe that America Ferrera will win for her performance in “Barbie”, earning 46.7% of the vote. Emily Blunt (“Oppenheimer”) is in second place with 36.7% of students believing she will win. Daniella Brooks (“The Color Purple”) and Jodie Foster (“Nyad”) are also nominated.

While critics predict that Robert Downey Jr. (“Oppenheimer”) will win Best Supporting Actor, students predict Ryan Gosling (“Barbie”) will win, earning 57.6% of the vote. Downey is in second place with 39.4% of the vote. Other nominees include Sterling K. Brown (“American Fiction”), Robert De Niro (“Killers of the Flower Moon”) and Mark Ruffalo (“Poor Things”).

Both critics and students predict that Christopher Nolan (“Oppenheimer”) will win Best Director, with 78.8% of students voting for him. Martin Scorsese (“Killers of the Flower Moon”) is in second place with 12.1% of the vote. Other nominees include Justin Triet (“Anatomy of a Fall”), Yorgos Lanthimos (“Poor Things”) and Jonathan Glazer (“The Zone of Interest”).

Lastly, both critics and students predict that Ludwig Göransson will win Best Original Score for “Oppenheimer,” earning 64.7% of the vote. John Williams is in second place for “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” with 17.6% of the vote. Other nominees include Laura Karpman (“American Fiction”), Jerskin Fendrix (“Poor Things”) and Robbie Robertson (“Killers of the Flower Moon”).