Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Surviving ‘Five Nights At Freddy’s’

Long running video game franchise hits the silver screen
The “Five Night’s At Freddy’s” movie has a 30% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 5.5/10 on IMDb. Photo via Universal Pictures.

Starring Josh Hutcherson (“The Hunger Games”), Elizabeth Lail (“You,” “Gossip Girl”) and Mathew Lillard (“Scream,” “Scooby-Doo”), “Five Nights at Freddy’s” is the long awaited adaptation of the game series.

What started as an Indie Horror series from the mind of Scott Cawthon really took off after its release in 2014 largely because of its presence on Youtube.

Since the release of the first game, it’s spawned countless sequels, spin-offs, fan games, merch deals, music, and so much more. It was one of the earliest examples of a smaller independent video game receiving major success.

With this success, a major film adaptation was inevitable, being constantly teased by fans and studios alike over the years, only finally coming into fruition this past year.

“Five Nights at Freddy’s” surrounds the main character Mike, played by Hutcherson. Mike is a down on his luck, jobless brother taking care of his younger sister Abby, played by Piper Rubio.

After multiple incidents at past jobs making him “unhireable,” Mike has to settle for a shady security job at the defunct “Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzaria,” or risk losing custody over his sister

However, while on the job he learns a lot of the dark secrets behind the closure of the pizzeria and the true nature of the supposed animatronic mascots.

At the same time, Mike is fighting lucid visions of his kidnapped brother, trying to figure out what happened and piece together the ever growing mystery.

The movie shines in translating the games to the big screen, the animatronics look amazing and the pizzeria set is the perfect setting.

In terms of being scary, it’s pretty tame, only having a few genuinely unnerving moments, the blood and gore is pretty prominent for a movie rated PG-13, and they get away with some gruesome kills.

For as low my expectations were for the movie, it was surprisingly gratifying and decent. By no means is it exceptional, but the performances, setting and music are all really well done and the story is admirable.

The “Five Nights At Freddy’s” movie is a very enjoyable horror film that condenses an overly complicated game into a more digestible, likable story full of character.