Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

The top 10 albums of 2023

A look back at the most impressive albums of the year
Still from singer Yves Tumor’s Music Video for “Heaven Surrounds Us Like a Hood.” Directed by Cody Critcheloe, out now on Warp Records.

#10: “10,000 Gecs” by 100 Gecs

Genre: Hyperpop

The accumulation of the carefree fun the band was built on, “10,000 Gecs” doesn’t care about coherency, it cares about getting in, going crazy, and getting out as quickly as possible. Through the wide variety of sounds it tackles, it is impossible to be bored while listening.

Recommended Songs: “Dumbest Girl Alive,” “Doritos & Fritos,” and “The Most Wanted Person In The United States”

#9: “Everyone’s Crushed” by Water From Your Eyes

Genre: Art-Pop

Nate Amos and Rachel Brown’s duo Water From Your Eyes craft the most impressive of their catalog yet, balancing the hectic with the calm. Effortlessly embracing the elements, “Everyone’s Crushed” is one of the most unique and genuine things you will hear this year.

Recommended Songs: “Barley,” “True Life,” and “14”

#8: “Tracey Denim” by bar italia

Genre: Indie Rock

The British indie rockers come together for their most complete batch of tracks yet, taking the sound of 90’s Britpop and mixing it with hypnagogic beauty. It marks a turn for the band from short, disjointed concepts to fully realized, mesmerizing tracks one after another.

Recommended Songs: “punkt,” “Missus Morality,” and “maddington”

#7: “Softscars” by Yeule

Genre: Dream Pop

Yeule’s 3rd album feels the most complete yet, taking on a variety of sounds and doing the most with all of them. Whenever you think you have the album figured out, it throws something new at you, keeping it fresh and exciting while building upon the cyberspace concept it’s built upon.

Recommended Songs: “Sulky Baby,” “dazies,” and “software update”

#6: “Maps” by Billy Woods & Kenny Segal

Genre: Abstract Hip-Hop

Billy Wood’s unlikely approach to Hip-Hop is amplified by Kenny Segal’s beautiful instrumentation on their 2nd collaboration project. “Maps” is filled to the brim with speculative lyrics and dense, jazzy instrumentals, creating one of Wood’s most mysterious and contemplative albums yet.

Recommended Songs: “Soundcheck,” “Babylon By Bus,” and “FaceTime”

#5: “Space Heavy” by King Krule

Genre: Indie-Rock

Archy Marshall’s newest endeavor brings the highlights of his earlier works with newfound maturity. It’s a saccharine, lush project, balancing more joyful tracks with solemn, sadder moments.

Recommended Songs: “Flimsier,” “From The Swamp,” and “Seagirl”

#4: “Praise A Lord Who Chews But Which Does Not Consume” by Yves Tumor

Genre: Neo-Psychedelia

One of the most exciting and endlessly relistenable projects of the year, where Yves’ takes the front place as a textbook rockstar. The spacey instrumentals and psychedelic soundscape are some of their most fully realized yet, and it accumulates in endless enjoyability.

Recommended Songs: “Heaven Surrounds Us Like a Hood,” “Echolalia,” and “Ebony Eye”

#3: “Census Designated” by Jane Remover

Genre: Shoegaze

Jane Remover’s sophomore album is a turn to a more mature, noisy sound, and it results in what feels like a window into the future of shoegaze. “Census Designated” is incomparable, a grand feat for Jane and a teaser of what she is capable of, a project that with each listen, becomes more and more impressive.

Recommended Songs: “Lips,” “Holding A Leech,” and “Census Designated”

#2: “Ooh Rap I Ya” by George Clanton

Genre: Chillwave

George Clanton keeps vaporwave alive on the ever nuanced “Ooh Rap I Ya” creating some of the most layered electronic soundscapes of the decade thus far. Blending early 2000’s esc aesthetics with the effortlessly cool sound of the New York scene in what is to become a near vaporwave classic.

Recommended Songs: “Everything I Want,” “Justify Your Life,” and “I Been Young”

#1: “Javelin” by Sufjan Stevens

Genre: Indie Folk

There aren’t enough words in the world for me to correctly word my praise for Sufjan Stevens’ newest album. A gut-wrenching and deeply meaningful look into how Sufjan has been coping with the loss of his partner Evans Richardson, “Javelin” deals with death in a way that makes grieving seem beautiful. It’s another masterful work for an artist that doesn’t seem to get a break, channeling his intense sadness into something beautiful and everlasting.

Recommended Songs: “Goodbye Evergreen,” “Will Anybody Ever Love Me?,” and “So You Are Tired”