Campus goes gold Thursday

Annual campaign raises awareness about childhood cancer

Comal ISD

Comal ISD is pairing with the Seth Strong Foundation to raise awareness of childhood cancer in September.

Solily San Miguel, Staff Writer

Students will go gold Thursday for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

The theme for the football game and pep rally is Go Gold, which is part of Comal ISD’s 6th Annual Go Gold Campaign. Proceeds will go to families experiencing life threatening illness of a child.

Sophomore Seth Permenter is no stranger to that. 

He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a bone cancer,  at 10. 

“It was really tough at first not being able to be around my friends and just being stuck in the hospital, “ Seth said, “but it definitely made me mature faster than other people my age, and it helps me grow as a person.”  

He currently serves as a student trainer and is active in FFA and his church youth group.

The Seth Strong Foundation was created by the Permenters along with a group of moms from Bill Brown Elementary school who wanted to support them.

According to the American Cancer Society, cancer is the second leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 14. Accidents are the leading cause of death. About 1,050 children are expected to die of cancer in 2022.

Supporters had the opportunity to purchase T-shirts for “Go Gold” by Sept. 10. Those supporters also will wear gold at district offices and campuses Sept. 29. 

“Spreading awareness is important so people can help fund research to finally find a cure so people don’t have to suffer through this,” Seth said.

As he has grown up struggling with cancer, Seth keeps his head up and spreads awareness and support to help when he can. 

“It’s always important to keep spreading the word,” he said, “so other people think about it.”