Construction on Texas 46 begins

Roadway will expand from two lanes to six

Alex Whelchel

Roadwork on Texas 46 extends for two miles from Bentwood Drive to Farhills Drive.

Alex Whelchel, Staff Writer

Cars squeeze tightly onto Texas 46, as students and parents rush home after a long day of school. For years, the amount of traffic on this highway has been a problem for residents of Spring Branch.

“Getting out of school takes forever,” junior Avery Pipes said “I get home almost 45 minutes after school is out.”

Construction began on Oct. 10 to expand the two lane highway to six lanes. This is said to take about four years to complete. The hope for this project is to decrease the back up on Texas 46 and surrounding roads.

Courtesy of Laura Lopez
The expansion plans.

The purpose of the project is to expand SH 46 from two to six lanes including raised medians or center left turn lanes between Farhills Drive to Bentwood Drive,” said Laura Lopez, Texas Department of Transportation Public Information Officer.

Traffic volumes are expected to increase by about 133 percent by 2049.

Road closures will occur only at night from Sunday to Friday at 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., shrinking the road down to one lane.. This means that traffic shouldn’t be affected too much in the morning and after school. 

“There will be lane closures alternating between both directions for the purpose of installing a traffic barrier,” said Rhonda Zunker, Bulverde and Spring Branch Chamber of Commerce president.

The contractor, Webber, has yet to release an official baseline schedule.

“In talking with Webber,” Zunker said, “they plan on starting with the eastern part of the project.”

This project is projected to finish in October 2026. Construction will begin from Farhills Drive to Bentwood Drive but will eventually move all the way up to Smithson Valley Road.