Stress mess: Students struggle to balance workload, mental health

Students+get+stressed+on+the+daily+over+assignments+that+are+difficult+to+comprehend.+

Solily San Miguel

Students get stressed on the daily over assignments that are difficult to comprehend.

Solily San Miguel, Staff writer

College, homework, pressure of grades, sports, jobs, hobbies, family and simply trying to maintain a social life are things that cause stress for a lot of high school students. 

Not to mention the bullying, discrimination, anxiety, overwhelming responsibilities and feeling as if they don’t belong and can’t communicate.

This stress builds up and leads to overall health problems. Headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems etc.

Students believe that despite the evidence, teachers and administration just don’t understand. Students will proceed to stay silent and bury their feelings because they feel that no one will listen if they try to explain. 

“I am a very anxious person,” freshman Kaye Nelson said. “Underneath this whole persona that I have of being very careless, I get overwhelmed but I don’t say anything, so it’s internal.”

Students with anxiety and lack of social skills usually keep this stress inside and let it build into something worse.

We need to look out for each other and take time to figure things out for ourselves.

Even if you don’t feel this way, there are others around you that do. Listen to them, sometimes all a person needs is to talk. It may help them destress. Help them as you would want someone to help you. 

There are many ways to manage stress; meditation, journaling, exercise, better sleep schedule and community.

It is important for students to take some time for themselves away from school and extracurriculars, which is why the counselors have started up the SV Unplugged again.

SV Unplugged is a self care group made to help students in current stressful situations, it is a place for students to relax and feel welcome. 

Located in Room B100, the group will meet every Wednesday until Nov. 30. Students are required to sign up before attending and if they have any questions they are told to speak to their designated counselors.