The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Theater to perform ‘Hamlet’ this weekend

Grace Dosek
Sophomore James Berry rehearses for his role of Hamlet on Oct. 24.

The theater department is putting a new spin on the Shakespearean classic “Hamlet” on Nov. 2 – 4.

“This isn’t the first time we have done a Shakespearean play,” theater director Casey O’Bryant said. “We did “Twelfth Night” two years ago, and we’ve also done Romeo and Juliet.”

“Hamlet” tells of a tale of the titular character, and his pertinacity to avenge his murdered father, the former king, by killing the new king, Hamlet’s uncle Claudius.

The story also presents the themes of revenge and justice.

But a performance doesn’t just happen; it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to pull this show off.

“Usually we would give the kids the script before the beginning of Summer, especially since it’s a different type of language,” Mr. O’Bryant said. “However, for various reasons, that didn’t happen, so we had put about 10 weeks into this thing as opposed to our usual 7 weeks.”

It’s not just the actors that help make a great show. Sound and lights are also a big part of what makes a production great.

“The setup of the soundboard is overall pretty easy,” senior Jaylee Rusk said. “It’s trying to time the acting cues with the button your supposed to push in order to make the right sound.”

The set, which includes some steampunk-style elements, was developed by tech theater teacher James Black and involves a lot of effort in order to draw attention to its audience.

“It takes a lot of hard work to make the set look as good as it does,” Black said. “We thought it would fit the theme of story; that’s why we worked so hard to get the look of it as perfect as it could be.”