The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Hudson Woods throws his arms out after a play before getting into position
Hudson Woods climbs to new heights after standout sophomore season
Jonathan Jones, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024
Joshua Velasquez committed to serving his country in the U.S. Army.
Beyond basic
Margaret Edmonson, Adviser • May 17, 2024
Sydney Rakowitz will study education and training and music at the University of Incarnate Word.
Seniors sign to continue athletic, non-athletic careers
Valley Ventana, Staff • May 16, 2024
Boy Scouts of America announced on May 7 the organizations name will change to Scouting America on the organizations 115th birthday Feb. 8, 2025. Photo by JV via unsplash.com
Boy Scouts changing name after 115 years
Grayson Cook, Staff writer • May 15, 2024
The top 15 students in the senior class receive special recognition at graduation on May 22 due to their hard work throughout high school. 
Graphic by Alex Whelchel via Canva
Profile: Top 15 seniors
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • May 13, 2024

Theater to perform ‘Hamlet’ this weekend

Grace Dosek
Sophomore James Berry rehearses for his role of Hamlet on Oct. 24.

The theater department is putting a new spin on the Shakespearean classic “Hamlet” on Nov. 2 – 4.

“This isn’t the first time we have done a Shakespearean play,” theater director Casey O’Bryant said. “We did “Twelfth Night” two years ago, and we’ve also done Romeo and Juliet.”

“Hamlet” tells of a tale of the titular character, and his pertinacity to avenge his murdered father, the former king, by killing the new king, Hamlet’s uncle Claudius.

The story also presents the themes of revenge and justice.

But a performance doesn’t just happen; it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to pull this show off.

“Usually we would give the kids the script before the beginning of Summer, especially since it’s a different type of language,” Mr. O’Bryant said. “However, for various reasons, that didn’t happen, so we had put about 10 weeks into this thing as opposed to our usual 7 weeks.”

It’s not just the actors that help make a great show. Sound and lights are also a big part of what makes a production great.

“The setup of the soundboard is overall pretty easy,” senior Jaylee Rusk said. “It’s trying to time the acting cues with the button your supposed to push in order to make the right sound.”

The set, which includes some steampunk-style elements, was developed by tech theater teacher James Black and involves a lot of effort in order to draw attention to its audience.

“It takes a lot of hard work to make the set look as good as it does,” Black said. “We thought it would fit the theme of story; that’s why we worked so hard to get the look of it as perfect as it could be.”