The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

TableTop club gives students a safe place

Grayson Cook
Senior Greyson Clark and Freshman Roman Parkas playing UNO with another club member

The TableTop club is a place for everyone. A place where students can do something other than sit in a chair all day listening to their teacher lecture on about the history of the United States, or about the properties of matter, or how to write a 13 page essay – a place where they can play board games.

Physics teacher Christopher Ellerbe started the TableTop Club here during his first year of teaching

“A student expressed interest in it, and had another teacher call me. They asked me if I was the head of the (Dungeons and Dragons) club, and I said no, but I can be.” Ellerbe said

From there, Ellerbe started putting out calls and gathered a group of students from the previous D&D club to start it back up. 

“The space itself is already paid for by the school,” Ellerbe said. “When it comes to the board games we have, we collect dues from the students, then put those dues towards the board games the student requests, so long as it’s within the club’s budget.”

Many kids have been overjoyed at the prospect of being able to do something entertaining within the school that doesn’t involve work.

“I was pretty excited to join up last year,” junior Aiden Wolock said. “We spent the first day creating character sheets and planning for what the campaign would look like, what tone it would be and how we would go about playing it.”

Wolock says that he got interested in the TableTop club after he found his dad’s old D&D third edition set last summer.

“I looked at it throughout the summer and was instantly drawn to it,” Wolock said. “When the year started, I found out there was a club dedicated to this, so I ended up joining.” 

For senior Greyson Clark, TableTop club is about more than just playing D&D.

“I love telling stories,” Clark said. “I first found out about the TableTop club during my Freshman year, but I was skeptical. I finally decided to give it a go during sophomore year, and I have loved it ever since.”

D&D isn’t the only thing available for people to spend hours playing.  UNO, Monopoly, Sorry and Clue are also available to anyone who wants a more competitive experience.

“I love challenging my friends to UNO,” sophomore Ty Wilson said. “I’m really good at home, but sometimes, I want to feel challenged by someone else, instead of the other way around.”

TableTopClub meets every Monday and Thursday after school in A212