Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Why representing Dia De Los Muertos is important

A direction of inclusivity for students who celebrate Dia De Los Muertos
Spanish+four+students+created+their+own+ofrendas+in+the+library%2C+juniors+Talan+Fuller%2C+Alec+Suarez%2C+and+Natalie+Maille+practice+presenting+the+ofrenda+before+their+major+grade+assessment.+
Solily San Miguel
Spanish four students created their own ofrendas in the library, juniors Talan Fuller, Alec Suarez, and Natalie Maille practice presenting the ofrenda before their major grade assessment.

Traditionally Dia De Los Muertos (day of the dead) is celebrated outside the United States.

Dia de los muertos is the tradition where families welcome back the souls of their deceased relatives.

Algebra teacher and softball/water polo coach Shanika Randle expresses her feelings on how to teach and be a part of Dia De Los Muertos with her BSU (Black Student Union) students. 

“You can’t respect a culture if you don’t understand it,” Randle said. “[BSU students] are going to bring pictures to the altar, that’s how we’re going to represent.”

Spanish four students created their own ofrendas (An altar which holds pictures,

Solily San Miguel
One of the three ofrendas set up in the library, set up by the spanish four students

flowers, and favorite foods of passed loved ones) in the library to contribute. Students created three different ofrendas, each with their own personal touch of family, decorations, and sweets.

Spanish one and two teacher Ashley Gonzales thinks it’s important to have students understand hispanic traditions and why different representations of traditions matter. 

“I think it’s super important for kids to be culturally diverse and exposed to other cultures,” Gonzales said. “We try to gain a better understanding and people have a lot of questions so it’s important for us to lay down the facts and let them know what different things they do to celebrate.”

When it comes to students’ cultural beliefs Randle feels it’s important for them to understand that their traditions are welcome to the school.

For students who may be new to such holidays, it’s important to understand that they’re welcome to celebrate and learn about their classmates’ beliefs.

“It’s about educating all of us on all cultures,” Randle said. “I love day of the dead, this holiday is very important to me. I always put my grandparents and circus peanuts because my papa used to love those.”