Course selection due Friday

Students must submit course selection through Schoolinks by Friday

Alex Whelchel

Junior Avery Pipes selects her classes for the 2023-2024 school year via School Link.

Alex Whelchel, Staff Writer

Students have until Friday to finalize their schedules for the 2023-2024 school year. Classes will be picked through Schoolinks, which can be accessed through Classlink on the district website.

If a student is not sure which classes to choose, they can visit the district’s electronic course guide, which provides in depth information about every course offered. 

“Counselors know a little bit about some of the courses just from working here,” head counselor Rebecca Thornton said, “but we don’t really have the in-depth knowledge of everything a student will do in a course.”

If a student wants to change a class after Friday’s deadline, they may meet with their counselors to make a change.

“After Friday, from Jan. 27 to Feb. 10, counselors can go in and make changes.” Thornton said. “Even though students can’t, parents can’t, counselors can.”

Once Feb. 10 has passed, the course selection will begin to be pulled and created into actual schedules.

“After Feb.10, that’s when they start pulling it out to start working on our master schedule, so we don’t have access to it.” Thornton said, “In May, students will get an email to go check their Skyward, and their courses will be listed in there. If a student wants to make a change, they will be able to then.”

Lauren Kiesling, College and Career Center Advisor, has already begun talking to sophomores about dual credit, which are classes that will grant students college credit.

“Dual credit classes are classes you can take to earn high school and college credit at the same time.” Kiesling said. “The way the program works on our campus, the courses are on your schedule just like any other class and they are taught by a Smithson Valley teacher.”

If a student passes the course, they will earn high school credit, for graduation, as well as college credit.

“Students are enrolled in the college and it’s a true college course they are taking,” Kiesling said, “but they are taking it on their high school campus.” 

The deadline for students to submit their application to the college for dual credit is Feb. 10. If that deadline is missed, students will not be able to take a dual credit course next school year. 

“If the college doesn’t have an application on file for a student, they will not be eligible to take dual credit courses.” Kiesling said.

Students say that although the process is long, Kiesling has made it straightforward and easy to navigate.

“The process of signing up for dual credit has been long, but not too hard.” sophomore Alyssa Pipes said, “Mrs. Kiesling has made the process very easy by showing me anything I need to know about dual credit.”

As juniors pick their schedules, many are looking to have off periods next year. First semester, seniors are eligible to have seventh period off campus, if they have enough credits, and second semester, they can have both sixth and seventh.

“I’m really excited to have an off period next year.” junior Izzy White said. “It will give me time to beat traffic and get my homework done early.”