District residents to vote on three bond propositions

School board approves package addressing growth, safety

Alex Whelchel Via Canva

Early voting for the three bond propositions will open on April 24.

Alex Whelchel, Staff Writer

Comal ISD residents will have the opportunity to vote on three bond propositions on May 6. The deadline to register to vote is April 6 and early voting begins on April 24.

The bond includes three different propositions. Proposition A is $560 million for growth and reinvestment. 

Proposition A will address continued district growth in the way of three new elementary schools to provide capacity relief to Bill Brown, Johnson Ranch, Oak Creek and Freiheit Elementary Schools, and a new middle school to relieve Canyon Middle School,” the Comal ISD website reads.

This proposition will also provide expansion to existing facilities on the school campus including a golf practice facility, updates to baseball dugouts, concessions, press box, the soccer and wrestling locker rooms and a stand alone dance studio. 

Student athletes hope for proposition A to be selected as it will provide updates to locker rooms and facilities on campus.

“It would be great if the soccer locker rooms could be updated,” varsity soccer player and junior Avery Pipes said. “Being able to shower without having to worry about mold or cleanliness would be really nice.”

Proposition B is $46 million and will focus on stadium renovations for Canyon Lake and Davenport High School due to safety concerns. 

“The current stadium bleacher configuration only has one exit point, creating an issue when there is a need to evacuate spectators due to lighting or other emergencies. New bleachers will have multiple exit points making evacuations safer.” The Comal ISD website reads.

The last proposition will include updates to student technology and infrastructure. Its $28 million in funds will go to purchasing learning devices, outdoor WiFi, growth devices and classroom audiovisual upgrades.