Junior wins LLS Student Visionary of the Year

Junior+Alex+Smithwick+stands+with+LLS+Regional+Director+Clarissa+Flores+%28left%29+and+varsity+soccer+coach+Jason+Adkins+%28right%29.+Smithwick%2Ca++forward+on+the+girls+soccer+team%2C+won+Student+Visionary+of+the+Year+for+her+efforts+in+raising+money+for+blood+cancer.+

Emma Siebold

Junior Alex Smithwick stands with LLS Regional Director Clarissa Flores (left) and varsity soccer coach Jason Adkins (right). Smithwick,a forward on the girls soccer team, won Student Visionary of the Year for her efforts in raising money for blood cancer.

Emma Siebold, Editor-in-Chief

Raising over $176,557, junior Alexandra Smithwick won San Antonio Student Visionary of the Year as part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The organization allows local high school students to lead campaigns that raise funds that go toward research for blood cancer.

LLS has invested more than $70 billion in research since its inception in 1949. Blood cancer is the leading cancer diagnosis in individuals under the age of 20, and LLS is the leading source of free blood cancer information, education, and patient support, with over 100,000 volunteers mobilized across the country.

“We are hoping to advance lots of medical breakthroughs and therapy for cancer patients, and improve the quality of life in patients and their families,” regional executive director Clarissa Flores said. “The Student Visionaries of the Year program raises funds to help us with that mission.”

Smithwick, also a member of the varsity soccer team, campaigned with students in the San Antonio area, who raised a total of $540,992 as a unit.

“It is truly an honor to be recognized today,” Smithwick said. “I learned so much about public speaking, hosting professional meetings and staying organized. I hope to continue to support LLS for years to come.”

“Throughout her journey with LLS, not only has she raised funds for a lifesaving mission, but she has hosted meetings with LLS, attended our events, reached out with our networks and obtained sponsorship from businesses,” said Monica Riojas, campaign development manager for Student Visionaries of the Year. “We are so proud of (her) for signing up for this campaign and for her dedication and support to the LLS mission.”

Smithwick raised the funds in just seven weeks along with help from her parents, John and Yvonne Smithwick.

“I’m proud of myself, but so thankful for my dad and his friends who helped me host my events,” Smithwick said.