In her approach to third base, sophomore Kamryn Prater prepares to slide to beat the throw out.
Softball, baseball step up to playoffs
Lukas Haider, Sports Writer • May 1, 2024
Senior Jazmyn Singh runs down the track during the 400m dash at the region competition April 19.
Chasing victory
Austen Young, Staff Writer • May 1, 2024
Senior Ella Pickron pole vaults at a track meet earlier this season.
Springing into the future: Senior Ella Pickron continues pole vaulting career
Allison Howe, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
Senior Hannah Pape gives blood during the last blood drive on February 1.
HOSA to host blood drive tomorrow
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024
During fifth period Elizabeth Little fills out green slips for students
What lies behind the desk
Kayleigh Fisher, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

STUCO, football collecting donations for food drive

Kayleigh Fisher
STUCO Vice-President Lily Haider and Historian Sydney Rakowitz stand by the donation stations, located outside the library.

The football team and student council have banded together to run a food drive for less fortunate families in the community from Oct. 16-25. 

It is a competition between the four grade levels to donate the most food in order to win the prize of a lifetime. The winning class’s president will have the opportunity to throw a pie in the face of a chosen assistant principal during the pep rally on Oct. 27. 

“Each grade is going to have a different type of canned food that they’re supposed to bring,” student council vice president Lily Haider said. 

Ninth grade students will bring canned fruits/vegetables, 10th grade students will bring boxed/packaged rice, potatoes and Hamburger Helper, 11th grade students will bring proteins such as canned tuna, canned chicken, Spam, peanut butter and dry beans and 12th grade students will bring snacks like granola bars, crackers, cliff bars, protein bars, goldfish, and Kind bars. 

Donation boxes are located outside the library, and students can bring items throughout the day. Additionally, parents can donate food at their own designated time, but it will not count toward the class competition.

“If parents want to come and bring additional food, there will be boxes out during the football game (on Oct. 27),” student council historian Sydney Rakowitz said.

Along with the grade level competition, student council and the football team granted another opportunity to win a prize. All 4th period classes can earn a class pizza party for donating food.

In order to make the contest as fair as possible, each student may only bring 3 items to donate for their 4th period. Students will also be rewarded with a homework pass to turn in an assignment late with full credit when they donate.

This story was updated on Oct. 20