Running an errand during fifth period Lauren Boswell stops to pose for a picture
A new occupation
Solily San Miguel, Design/Production editor • May 3, 2024
Izzy Sutherland runs down the track during the 400m at region on April 19.
On track: Freshman to compete at state in 4x400
Julissa Vargas, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
In her approach to third base, sophomore Kamryn Prater prepares to slide to beat the throw out.
Softball, baseball step up to playoffs
Lukas Haider, Sports Writer • May 1, 2024
Senior Jazmyn Singh runs down the track during the 400m dash at the region competition April 19.
Chasing victory
Austen Young, Staff Writer • May 1, 2024
Senior Ella Pickron pole vaults at a track meet earlier this season.
Springing into the future: Senior Ella Pickron continues pole vaulting career
Allison Howe, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

Changing the game

New girls lacrosse team gets former Division I athlete as coach
Girls lacrosse coach Abbie Glaser previously played Division I lacrosse at Butler University. (Photo by Smithson Valley Lacrosse)

When Sydney Bell moved to the Hill Country, the lacrosse midfielder found her sport’s options were limited to boys teams.

However, the creation of a girls team and the hiring of its coach, Abbie Glaser, have Bell looking forward to resuming her favorite sport.

“I am excited that they made a team because it gives people a chance to play under their own school name and not another school’s,” Bell said.

The girls begin practice Monday at Jumbo Evans Sports Park with practices taking place Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The team is not affiliated with the school, and  the club organization includes players from Bulverde, Spring Branch, north San Antonio,  Canyon Lake and New Braunfels areas.

“I believe everybody should find something they like doing,” Glaser said. “For me, that’s lacrosse. The boys’ game is a few years ahead of us here, and I want the SV girls to have the same opportunity as their male peers.”

Glaser grew up playing the sport on the West Coast since she was 6, following in her big sister’s footsteps. She later played in Division I at Butler University in the Big East Conference. She also played in midfield and attack during her college career. 

Glaser received such recognition as playing for the Virginia Brine National Team during her junior year and representing her school in the World Lacrosse Games in London, England, in the  high school division. She is a four-time Big East All Academic Team member.

For players such as sophomore goalie Valentine Bisono, the girls team offers new opportunities for female athletes.

“I am most excited about making new friends and having fun with a group of girls,” Bisono said.

As for Glaser, she already has set goals for her team and the sport.

“My goal for the team,” she said, “would be to become a top contender among girls when picking a spring sport to play.”