The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Hudson Woods throws his arms out after a play before getting into position
Hudson Woods climbs to new heights after standout sophomore season
Jonathan Jones, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024
Joshua Velasquez committed to serving his country in the U.S. Army.
Beyond basic
Margaret Edmonson, Adviser • May 17, 2024
Sydney Rakowitz will study education and training and music at the University of Incarnate Word.
Seniors sign to continue athletic, non-athletic careers
Valley Ventana, Staff • May 16, 2024
Boy Scouts of America announced on May 7 the organizations name will change to Scouting America on the organizations 115th birthday Feb. 8, 2025. Photo by JV via unsplash.com
Boy Scouts changing name after 115 years
Grayson Cook, Staff writer • May 15, 2024
The top 15 students in the senior class receive special recognition at graduation on May 22 due to their hard work throughout high school. 
Graphic by Alex Whelchel via Canva
Profile: Top 15 seniors
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • May 13, 2024

‘We is greater than me’

Softball begins district play tonight
Jacob Valadez
Senior Bianca Shoquist will be another familiar face among other returners from this past season. Today the team will play home at 7:00 p.m. against Tivy.

A year after the softball team reached the region finals, a younger squad now has some big shoes to fill, but Coach Amanda Wolf-Schramm already feels good about the team’s prospects.

The players have a 13-5 record overall as they open district play tonight at 7.

“Our team identifies great team culture, team bond and having each other’s backs,” their coach said.

Starting 2023 previous season with a rough 1-8 start, the softball team eventually improved when it came to district. The team had a district record of 11-3,  leaving district in second place behind undefeated district champs Canyon.

After securing a playoff spot, the team was only two games away from advancing to state. The team lost in the regional finals to its district foe Canyon. 

“I’m very proud of how the kids banded together and fought every week,”  Wolf-Schramm said. “They worked hard and had a great bond with one another.”

Two out of the five seniors from the 2022-2023  continued their academic and athletic career at the college level. Currently Taylor Nava is playing at Warner University in Lake Wells, Florida and Abby Brand is playing at Angelo State in San Angelo, Texas.

Familiar faces back on the field are sophomore Zoey Allison, junior Madeline Haun, senior Ciaira Gonzales (St. Thomas University commit), and senior Arianna Capek (University of New Mexico commit). 

Today district will start with the team having a home opener against Kerrville Tivy at 7 p.m.

If all goes according to their plan, the plays will fall in with their mantra “we is greater than me.”

“I hope these kids can have great team culture and chemistry overcoming adversity,” Wolf-Schramm said. “I want them to say ‘These were the best four years of my life’ or for them to be glad they played softball at SV and learned much about themselves.”