Playing new melody

Piano teacher announces retirement

Gwen Gabriel instructs her piano class.

John Garza

Gwen Gabriel instructs her piano class.

John Garza, Staff Writer

Two decades has come along for piano teacher Gwen Gabriel  and she has decided that it’s finally time to slow down incoming her retirement at the end of this year.

“When I first came to Smithson Valley, I was an assistant accompanist to Perry Dean who led the choir girls here.” Gabriel said.

She remained the accompanist for the choir for 8 years until the idea came from both Dean and Gabriel to begin offering a piano class for the school.

“There weren’t too many other schools  in Comal who offered piano classes, after us I believe they started coming about over in Canyon and Canyon Lake,” Gabriel said.

They started out with little over a dozen keyboards and only had 2 classes, one beginning and one advanced. The program grew to 5 piano classes, 3 beginning and 2 advanced.  

“Piano is a growing phenomenon, now whenever a parent finds out they sign their kid up for it and usually after the first year they sign up again,” Gabriel said.

She supports her students after piano as well as at senior graduation.

“Everyone in the audience looks in my direction because I yell out so loudly for my students who walk on the stage.” she said.

While she intends to spend time with her family including her four young grandchildren, Gabriel plans to continue playing piano.  

“I’m going to offer private tutoring again and as far as I know I’ll still be offering the adult classes in the evenings until 8,” she said. “I also play for two churches.”