Tennis introduces new coaching staff

Coaching with a Passion: Head coach Thomas Mayton coaches junior Lauren Bassett and the varsity tennis team early morning Sept. 1. They prepared for the upcoming competitions.

Mauricio Aguilar

Emma Downing, Staff Writer

Nearly 30 junior varsity players crowd around the net, as head coach Thomas Mayton demonstrates how to perfect their forehands.
“Stand on the balls of your feet with your knees bent,” Mayton said, performing the action himself. “As you get ready to hit a forehand, step to the right with your left foot and bring your racket slightly behind you. Make sure that the face of the racket is facing downwards as you follow through on your shot, paying close attention to your right elbow as it comes up to your chin.”
That kind of attention to detail is what Mayton and his assistant coach Edwardo Escobedo bring to the tennis team.
“It has always been my hope that students learn how to play tennis and make it a life sport,” Mayton said.
With a new environment, the coaches face challenges.
“The greatest challenge that I have faced so far this year is having students with different skill levels,” Escobedo said.
Both coaches bring years of experience to the courts.
“Prior to becoming a tennis coach at this school, I was a teacher in Lancaster, Calif., for 26 years.” Mayton said. “When I heard there was a job opening to be a coach, I took the opportunity when it came up.”
Escobedo echoed Mayton’s enthusiasm.
“I have been a high school teacher for 13 years and a coach for six,” Escobedo said, “and I love seeing rapid progress that the students are making.”