Aquatics gears up for district

Swimming and diving look to defend district titles.

Senior Brianna Houlahan warms up for district competition. The meet will be held on Thursday

Kari Osborne

Parker Maroney, Staff Writer

Aquatics is looking to warm up for districts, which will be held Thursday, Jan. 23. The format is similar to the Winter Invitational, with four swimmers allowed per school per event, but swimmers can only compete in two events apiece, which requires a strategic approach. This encourages underclassman participation, which allows the younger competitors to letter. 

The team is seeking another district title, which would mark six straight for the girls and five straight for the boys. The boys will have to overcome the loss of Konnor Klinksiek, who last year set more than half of the boys’ school records and propelled the team to state, where he helped set a state record for the 200m Medley Relay and finish first in the 200m Freestyle Relay. 

The talent pool, however, is being replenished. Freshmen Colin Doyle and Carson Blair, who are already keeping up with some seniors in the pool, are competing at some of the state’s top meets, including TISCA and the Arena Fall Classic. Blair will be swimming the 100m backstroke, and he has set a few goals for himself and the team for the upcoming meet.

“I want to place 1st in my heat or place [in the] top four to advance for regionals,” Blair said. “I hope we can defend our title as district champs just like the past 4 years.” 

New arrivals like them will have to step up, as more seniors will be graduating this May. Only time will tell how the team performs at this meet, and if they can continue the school’s long-standing winning tradition.