Percussion Pop

Drummers perform show Saturday

Senior Matthew Torres practices keyboard instrument in the senior dining hall. The percussion team has prepared for the Percussion Pop show on April 29.

Margaret Edmonson

Senior Matthew Torres practices keyboard instrument in the senior dining hall. The percussion team has prepared for the “Percussion Pop” show on April 29.

John Garza, Staff Writer

It was assistant band director Jeffrey Yates who is responsible for the overload of percussion instruments in the senior dining hall. He will also be responsible for leading the band concert tomorrow at 2 p.m. in the auditorium.

“Percussion Pop” will feature songs written and performed by Toto, Genesis, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and more coming from the students solo performances.

“It’s something that you don’t see too often,” Yates said. “Everyone should stop by and enjoy them.”

Rehearsals for this show started since January.

“Fall is for marching, and the beginning of the second semester is getting ready for the spring concert with keyboard equipment,” Yates said.

Seniors Silas Hannemann has been playing piano since he was 5 and will major in music in college.

“Probably just music composition and theory,” Hannemann said,” hopefully write a couple of songs to at least get my name out there as a writer.”

The drummers respect their instructor, including senior Matthew Torres, who has been in band since sixth grade at Spring Branch Middle School.

“(Yates is) just a really cooperative teacher,” Torres said. “He really works with all of us.”