Volleyball Starts to Struggle in District Play

Margaret Edmonson

The team looks on to receive the opponents serve as they faced off against San Antonio Jefferson on Sep. 24

Hudson Murphy, Sports Editor

The girls volleyball team took a tough 0-3 loss to division rivals New Braunfels on Friday away from home. The team put up a good fight in games two and three following a convincing game one win by New Braunfels, as the team came within two points of the last two games. This match has ended the Ranger’s three game win streak following their victories over San Marcos, Steele, and Judson. The team leaders for the game were Senior Tara Mcleod with 14 kills and Junior Gabi Smith with 19 digs.

Following this game on Tuesday, the Rangers faced off against Schertz Clemens at home and lost their second match in a row losing 1-3 to the defending district champions. The game started well for the Rangers as they took home the first set with a 25-23 win over the Buffalos but following the initial win, the team continued to drop three sets in a row. The team leaders for the game included Senior Lauren Domel leading with 14 kills and Freshman Maddie Dennis with 43 assists.

The team will have a couple more difficult matchups in the next couple days including facing New Braunfels Canyon who currently have a 7-1 district record and defeated the Rangers 3-1 in their previous matchup. This game will take place this Friday at Canyon. Following this the Rangers will take on San Antonio East Central on Tuesday at home. This game will be at home and after the very close 3-2 loss the team took to East Central on their last faceoff, the team will look to get their revenge at their home stadium.