Volleyball looks to end season on five-game win streak

Freshman sets school assist record

After yet another score, senior Tara McLeod, her teammates and coaches celebrate during the Steele match Tuesday at home.

Dylan McGinnis

Hudson Murphy, Sports Editor

The girls volleyball team have won nine out of their last 10 games in district play, stringing together a three-match win streak against Judson, Steele and East Central.

This improved their district record to 6-6 and a 20-16 overall record on the season. These wins propelled them up the division standings to fourth place with two games remaining.

The win against Judson on Friday away from home ended with the Rangers dominating the first game 25-8 and the last game 25-16. Senior Tara McLeod led this match win, totaling 14 kills in the three games, as well as freshman Maddie Dennis who led in assists with 21. This was Judson’s 10th loss of the season in district with only one win against San Marcos.

This Tuesday, the team’s Pink Out game at home against Cibolo Steele went well as they dropped only one game, winning the match 3-1. The Rangers snagged a win with early domination, 25-23 and 25-16, and tight fourth game win 25-22. McLeod led again in kills with 21. However, the big story of the night came from freshman Maddie Dennis, who set the school record with 48 assists through the four games.

The win impacted the Rangers more than the Judson game as it caused Steele to rank under the team with their 5-7 district record. 

The season comes to an end with two games against San Marcos on Friday and a game against New Braunfels on Tuesday. The first game against San Marcos will take place away from home. In their last face off, the Rangers took all three games against San Marcos, who have been struggling this year with only one district win over Judson.

The Tuesday game will wrap up the season with a home game against 10-2 New Braunfels Canyon. In their last matchup, Canyon dominated, winning all three games at home.