Rapper’s new album refuses to slump

Artist Ski Mask dropped STOKELEY on Nov. 30

Ski Mask the Slump God is a rapper popular for releasing music on the streaming service Soundcloud.

Creative Commons

Julian Fernandez, Staff Writer

Ski Mask the Slump God dropped an unexpected album after his last full length project was stripped of commercial success by leaks, label problems, and many delays. The project, titled Stokeley, encompasses all the elements of Ski mask the Slump God that made him popular and shows his new talents.

Ski Mask came in the album with a song entitled “So High” and showed us his versatility on a melodic song with a relaxing beat and carefree flow, which is unusual for Ski as he has an extremely technical flow (tracks like Catch Me Outside, Bird is the Word, etc) but quickly comes back to his early roots with a song with fellow rapper and friend JuiceWrld on the explosive track “Nuketown.”

Ski returns again back to his underground roots with the hardcore screaming hook that Ski and the deceased rapper XXXTENTACION are known for. On Ski’s last album, critics were not impressed with the fact that he rapped in a more generic way and it was considered a failure for that same reason. Ski holds nothing back on this new album and in doing so, created his best album. The album also has a feature from rapper Lil Baby in which Baby takes shots at rapper Lil Xan, saying “This ain’t Lil’ Xan, I got hits for days.” Though the feature from Baby is disappointing to say the least, the album has nothing but a grungy, hardcore, and almost perfect sophomore album.

The album has a lighting fast electric flow to combat with raunchy beats, proving Ski Mask is a force to be reckoned with.