In the zone

One Act Play advances with “GINT” to district

Ella Majors

Junior Caleb Mosley lies defeated at the feet of junior Hunter Pittman.

Taralynn Gates and Jackson Posey

The room is black. Standing in a circle, connected by hands. Eyes closed, ears open, listening to the director’s words and feeling his hands on their shoulders as he speaks to them. The fate of the work that was put into the show over the last two months is about to be decided as they prepare to step out into the lights. They know no matter what happens in the time on that Judson stage, the experience, the bonds, and the time was going to be worth it.

The Production Company performed the show “GINT” for UIL One Act Play zone competition at Judson High School. The show follows a man named Pete Gint and his journey of self discovery and the consequence of his wrong-doing.

Pete Gint’s name is dirt around town. He is the exact type of person your parents don’t want you to be – a drunk, a womanizer, a pathological liar. His adventures stretch the boundaries between fact and fiction as he embarks on fantastical journeys into subterranean caves, magical forests, mental institutions, and finally back home to where it all began.

With seven minutes to set the stage, 40 minutes to tell the story, and seven minutes to strike, all of the literal blood, sweat, and tears that the company poured into this production was going to be put to the test. Out of five competitors, only three shows go on to live another day. And another day, Gint will see.

The group was showered with accolades. Outstanding Technician went to senior LJ Haider. Outstanding Crew to technicians – Haider, senior Ava Lunsford, senior Kate Barber, junior Gracen Farmer, and junior Stephen Barkalow. Honorable Mention Acting was awarded to sophomore Brenna Collins while sophomore Lanie Stanley and freshman Izanelly Adan earned a spot on the All Star Cast. Junior Caleb Mosley, in the wake of a stunning performance, was given the honor of Best Actor.

The panel of judges came to unanimous decision: One school had made a name for themselves, just like they were supposed to.

The group went home with a first place plaque to their name, and a new stage to conquer. With new hope on the horizon, the company looks with clear eyes and full hearts at the challenges ahead. UIL One Act Play district competition here at Smithson Valley’s auditorium on March 23.