Honoring academic achievement

College Board announces 2021-2022 National Merit Scholars

Ellie Suarez

Principal Michael Wahl gives a National Merit Scholar certificate to Jaci Mesa during the breakfast ceremony Oct. 29 in the cafeteria.

Grace Bush and Tatum Tomallo

Banners hang along the walls of the main entrance to the school, right before the steps that lead up to the senior dining hall – a symbol of honor for achieving students.

College Board announced 51 local seniors received recognition through 2021-2022 National Merit Scholars Program. They were selected based on their high Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test scores from junior year.. 

For all 51 scholars,  this achievement opens doors for on college applications and scholarship opportunities. 

“Being one of the first in my family means so much to me.” National Hispanic Merit Scholar Jake Perez said. “Many of my family members were unable to have the opportunities I have in high school, and being one of the first in my family means so much to not only me, but them as well.”

To achieve such an honor, scholars underwent months of preparation and years of work.

“I studied my butt off in class to get good grades [and] to get a good GPA.” National Hispanic Merit Scholar Macey Rodriguez said. “Then, I [also] did some online practice for the PSAT.” 

Other recognitions went to African Americans and Rural and Small Town students.

National Hispanic Merit Scholar Matthew Capetillo was recognized in the top 2.5 percent in the region.

“Being a National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar means everything to me.” Capetillo said. “It shows all the hard work and dedication I’ve given to my studies has paid off.”

National Merit Scholar recognition offers pride in heritage for students across the country. 

“It makes me proud of where I come from,” Perez said. “A lot of my family has not had the same opportunities that I have had in high school, and being able to represent my heritage through my hard work means the world to me.”