The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

New reporting app aims to make campus safer

Alex Whelchel via Canva
Comal County Crime Stoppers has released a new app, p3tips.

The crime reporting site, Crime Stoppers, has released an app named P3tips where students, parents and faculty can send in anonymous tips about concerns on campus.

The goal of the app is to encourage students to “see something, say something,” in hopes of making the campus a safer place.

“Let’s say [a student] knows about a fight going on or someone [is] gonna bring a weapon on campus [the app] is a way for someone to say something without feeling like someone’s gonna know who they are,” school resource officer Robert Martinez said. “It’s all anonymous so it gives them the avenue to put that on there. Then we get the tip and we can figure out what’s going on.”

The app can be used for reporting weapons, drugs, criminal activity, bullying, harassment or threats to campus. Once a tip is submitted either an SRO or someone from administration will investigate depending on the content.

“The response is immediate,” principal Stacia Snyder said. “[Once you’ve filed a report] you can go back into the system and check it. It can be a back-and-forth conversation.”

On the Crime Stoppers website, and the P3tips app, reporters are required to input a description of the incident, choose a type of offense from a drop-down menu and put the city/state of occurrence. Other information such as names, exact locations and whether one is interested in receiving a reward can also be added but is optional.

If a reported tip turns out to be good, the reporter will receive a reward. 

“I’ve seen kids make $2,000 just because they walked into the restroom and they saw something,” Martinez said. “We find out that it’s a good tip and that’s $300 here, $300 there. Some kids have made some money on this program.”

The ultimate goal of crime stoppers is to maintain safety and security on campus. The hope with the new app is to make reporting crimes quicker and more accessible.

“We want our kids safe,” Snyder said. “We want to make sure that we’re doing everything we can not only to keep kids safe but for kids to feel safe. If a kid knows that they can get on the app and give a report then they can know that they’re doing their part to make our campus a good place.”