The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Hudson Woods throws his arms out after a play before getting into position
Hudson Woods climbs to new heights after standout sophomore season
Jonathan Jones, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024
Joshua Velasquez committed to serving his country in the U.S. Army.
Beyond basic
Margaret Edmonson, Adviser • May 17, 2024
Sydney Rakowitz will study education and training and music at the University of Incarnate Word.
Seniors sign to continue athletic, non-athletic careers
Valley Ventana, Staff • May 16, 2024
Boy Scouts of America announced on May 7 the organizations name will change to Scouting America on the organizations 115th birthday Feb. 8, 2025. Photo by JV via unsplash.com
Boy Scouts changing name after 115 years
Grayson Cook, Staff writer • May 15, 2024
The top 15 students in the senior class receive special recognition at graduation on May 22 due to their hard work throughout high school. 
Graphic by Alex Whelchel via Canva
Profile: Top 15 seniors
Alex Whelchel, Managing Editor • May 13, 2024

Homecoming tickets to go on sale Sunday

Bethany Mann
The homecoming dance is organized by student council every school year. Graphic made via Canva.

Tickets for the homecoming dance on Oct. 14 will go on sale Sunday on the brushfire website. Ticket prices will start at $25 each and will go up to $30 after Monday. On Oct. 9 prices will rise to $35 and at the door, they will cost $40. 

The dance starts at 7 p.m. in the cafeteria and the theme is A Night In A Fairytale.

A new twist on homecoming proposals had been introduced this year. Organizers want to see proposals posted on the student council instagram feed by Oct. 6, and the best proposal will be selected from those. Best proposal will get half price on tickets.

“We just want students to have a night of fun,” homecoming chair Karissa Collazo said. 

The homecoming court will be announced during Friday’s football game against MacArthur, and those court members will be recognized at the dance. The final round of voting for the court takes place next week through each grade’s Google Classroom.

Alex Whelchel via Canva

Student council seeks volunteers to join the organization and help set up and take down decorations the night of the dance. Students can talk to Student Council President Chesney Gaines or Vice President Lily Haider for more information.

Due to the school holiday on Oct. 9, spirit days will begin on Tuesday with Barbie. Wednesday will be pajama day, Thursday students have a choice between anything but a backpack, or twin day and Friday is Ranger gear.