The student news site of Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas

Evie Armour stars as Iphigenia in the one-act play that competes at region.
Shining Armour
Alissa Kastle, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024
The golf team will compete at state Monday at the Legacy Hills Golf Club. Golfers including as Zach Seader, Aiden Page, Anniiston Mcllwain, Cole Cantu, and Ryan Griff will represent the boys team, while Sayers Allen will play.
Ranger Roundup
Sports staffApril 24, 2024
Valley Ventana’s weekly Connections game: Week of April 22. Photo via Canva
Connections: Week of April 22
Valley Ventana, Staff • April 23, 2024
Wrestling coach Tim Clarkson was named the 5A Region IV Coach of the Year by his peers. Music by MorningLightMusic on YT
Wrestling coach named tops for Region IV 5A
April 22, 2024
Junior Sayers Allen poses for a photo at the golf region competition on April 17. Photo via SVHS Golf.
Swinging it into high gear
Grayson Cook, Staff Writer • April 19, 2024

Ranger Roundup

Check out this weeks results in sports
Danny Grant
Football will face Brownsville Veterans memorial in the semi-final this Friday in Corpus Christi. The Rangers are looking to win this game to send them to the State Championship game.

Football 

In the Rangers previous game against A&M Conso

lidated the Rangers prevailed 31-24.

With this win they are moving on to the state semifinals where they will be playing Brownsville Veterans Memorial. This game will be the first time the Rangers have been to the playoffs since 2008, 15 years ago. The game will be on Dec. 8 at buccaneer stadium at 7 p.m.

On the offensive side of the ball the rangers dominated in the run game having a total of 299 rushing yards and 2 rushing touchdowns. Passing the ball was minimal for the rangers only having a total of 39 passing yards. Even though the Tigers had more total yards the rangers still managed to make a comeback over the tigers when they were down 17-0 towards the end of the second quarter.

Defensively the Rangers held Consolidated to 239 passing yards and had a pick six by senior WR/DB Jackson Duffey at the end of the first half. The ranger defense took down A&M consolidated behind the line of scrimmage fifteen times with  two sacks from sophomore Hudson Woods and junior Caleb Sosa and the defense accumulated 13 tackles for losses.

The Ranger offense put up their first points towards the end of the first half with a 13 yard rushing touchdown by junior running back Brad Sowersby. Shortly after the defense scored a pick six by senior WR/DB Jackson Duffey with only 54 seconds left in the second quarter.

Late in the third Clayton Amaya scored a 28 yard field goal. Late in the fourth the rangers scored two rushing touchdowns. One of them was by junior running back/Lb Cade Spradling who ran it in from three yards away with 6:28 seconds left, and the second was by Sowersby who ran it in from nine yards out with 3:19 seconds left in the fourth.

Junior running back Brad Sowersby dominated the run game against A&M Consolidated. He averaged 8.2 yards per carry with 30 attempts and a total of 245 yards. Against College Station he averaged 5.9 yards per carry with 20 attempts and a total of 118 yards. Sowersby has had back to back 100 yard rushing games with 2 touchdowns in each game. His performance gave the rangers the lead in the final minutes against A&M Consolidated which secured them the win.

Basketball

This past week girls basketball played in the Jimmy Classics tournament at Canyon highschool from Nov. 30th- Dec. 2nd. They went 2-2 overall losing to Antonian [41-57] and San Marcos [44-68]. Their wins were against Liberty Christian [46-43] and Leander [60-48]. Their next game will be this Friday against New Braunfles at 6:30 p.m. and District play starts next Friday at Seguin at 6:30 p.m. 

Allison Howe Via Twitter
Senior forward Allison Howe committed recently to St. Edwards University on Nov.29th.

Also in this past week boys basketball competed in the Jack Frost Invitational tournament going 1-3 overall. Their first game they won against Churchill [54-53] and lost to Johnson [61-71] Episcopal [69-72], and Rouse [46-64]. Their next game will be against MacArthur this Thursday at 6:00 p.m.

Swim 

Swim recently competed in the NEISD tournament this past Saturday. Here are the results for top 10 paces. 

Men 200 Yard IM- 10th place Aidan Fox

Women 50 Yard Breaststroke- 6th place Finley Harroff

Men 500 Yard Freestyle- 8th place Konner Schneider 

Men 100 Yard Breaststroke- 4th place Aidan Fox 

Women 200 Yard IM- 10th place Finley Harroff 

Women 100 Yard Freestlye- Ava Schneider 

Men 200 Yard Breaststroke- 2nd place Aidan Fox 

Men 100 Yard IM- 7th place Aidan Fox